Thursday, February 1, 2007

How It All Began

Jerry had a very interesting blog yesterday about how he got into computers in the armed forces. When I read it, I knew tonight's blog would be about how I ended up working for Hartt. I was a manager for Irving for six years. Some things about Irving, I didn't mind. There health insurance was amazing and paid for everything, I got like 4 full weeks off a year, paid(although I never used them) and my employees were good people for the most part and I made friends that I will have forever. Plus, as long as I go to store that Barb works at, I will never have to pay for a cup of coffee from Irving. Well, that about sums up the good things at Irving. The company is very hard on people- they burn people up in no time at all. You work salary- which ends up being like 60-70 hours a week for what would be good pay for 40 hours. People are treated like they are expendable and you are always going to a different store once you get comfortable in a place. I really hated the gay uniforms you had to wear- complete with a tie and I am not a good person for shaving every day and keeping my hair short. I am a boots guy- always have been and if I want to grow my hair long, atleast I like having the option. I don't shave every day- I hate shaving- always have! I like jeans, baseball caps and comfortable shirts. I like having a goatee. I hate schedules that you have to live by, checklist and all the other shit Irving makes you do. Well, I was working at the store on the corner of Broadway and Burleigh and I had been there over a year. I knew most of the people who came in there every day. I hated it there but the people who came in every day made it bearable. My wife knew I hated it and told me to go look for another job but I didn't- I told her I will know when the time is right and the people will find me where I am. Well, Rick- the HR manager at Hartt and Rick C in brokerage used to come in my store all the time. A lot of the people who work at Hartt stop in there. I got to know both Ricks pretty well and would talk to them when they came in. Rick C had an opening in dispatch and told me to apply for it and I did. I interviewed for it but I didn't have any experience so I didn't get the job. Rick stopped in a week later and said the shop was hiring a parts guy and that I should come in and talk to Todd and Alex. Well, I went in and interviewed with them and they called me back the next day and asked if I wanted the job. There timing couldn't have been any better- I had a terrible weekend at work and got wrote up for a case of juice falling over in the cooler that I had absolutely nothing to do with. I met with Rick P and he offered me the same pay I was making at Irving, only hourly- not salary and I accepted it. I went and told Irving I was giving my notice, worked out my two weeks and went to work for Hartt. Honestly, the best decision I have ever made next to marrying Colleen. I may sound like I hate it there and that it gets to me but I truly love my job. I love the guys I work with and I love the place I work at. I went into the job with zero experience in truck parts- everything I know now, I learned. People show you stuff at my work- that is how people learn things and become better employees. I showed AJ how to do stuff like Ben showed me. It is a cycle. How much have I learned? If I lost my job tomorrow morning, I could have a job by tomorrow afternoon- with ease. People that I deal with every day respect me and know me- that is another life lesson I have learned- don't burn bridges- you never know when you may need them. Later

3 comments:

Artistically Twisted said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Artistically Twisted said...

You seem really happy at Hartt.
Very cool to read the history of someone.
How that they got where they are.
I have to say... I have burnt bridges in the past but they are roads I will NEVER travel again and I am trying not to burn any more myself.

Artistically Twisted said...

Sorry I deleted my first comment I accidentally posted it with all kinds of jacked up typing.