Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Someone Has G 'N R

OK, So Today Marks the First...
Time in like 5 years that I actually paid cash for a CD! Jewels called me from Best Buy and asked me if I wanted her to get me the new GNR CD and I said you bet I do! OK, I have waited 14 years for this CD to come out! No- it does NOT have Slash or Duff or Izzy or even a heroin addicted Steven Adler on it! Yes, it has Axl and a guy who wears a KFC bucket on his head and a bunch of guys I wouldn't know if I was pissing next to them in a urinal! They are my all time favorite- no other group comes close! Dyan was talking about seeing Garth Brooks at our last get together and how she would love to see him live! My first thought when she said that was, "that is how I am for GNR." I have still owned every GNR CD that there has ever been! OK, lets get to a review since I have now listened to pretty much the whole thing! Axl doesn't have the range he had when GNR was THE thing. This is actually pretty easy to pick up from the start! He can still sing like no other though! His range and distinctive voice is what makes him who he is! Overall, the vocals are better than I thought they'd be after seeing them on the MTV awards. As good as Appetite? No! Better than I thought and still powerful and soulfull? ABSOLUTELY! Songwriting? This is where I thought GNR would really suffer missing Izzy! Honestly, the jury is still out! I think the songwriting is pretty good throughout the album and seems to have a GNR tone to it! Guitars? This guy with the bucket on his head is really very good! Is he Slash? Absolutely, 100%, without a doubt in the world- NO! Slash's riffs made GNR Guns 'N Roses! He is missed! Buckethead can play, he gets Axl's style and they fit pretty good and the music and melodies mesh pretty well together! To pick a favorite song, I'd have to say 'Street of Dreams'! I have listened to it like ten times and it absolutely vintage Axl! Slash absolutely ripping something up and rising from the ocean would have been cool, too but that is old and kind of 'been there, done that'! OK, am I happy I shelled out $12 for the new GNR CD? Without a doubt! I really like the CD and will have plenty of rides to and from work wearing it out like I did Appetite, Lies and Illusions! Hey, if nothing else, I spent 12 bucks to feel like I was 19 again and feel cool for having the latest GNR CD! Hokey- probably. Do I care? Nope- not a little bit! LOL- well, off to listen to a little more GNR, take a shower and settle in for the night! Later

3 comments:

Julie said...

awesome and very honest review! You should review more things I think you have a knack for it. I bought the new ACDC Cd when it came out a few weeks back and I have to say it was just Blahhhh. I love ACDC but this was like a continuation of Fly On The Wall Album back in the 80's. It doesn't suck, I just think perhaps it's time for them to call it good and enjoy their spoils...I heard A couple clips from the album of Axl's It's not too bad. Lots of laying his voice over itself...It just wasn't done as cool as the other albums he did. It's very noticeable..I'm a closet Izzy fan....He was my FAV! :) Wish he would write some more stuff...I need to check and see if Velvet Revolver adopted him they were talking about it.

Artistically Twisted said...

If Velvet revolver Adopts him I will pay the fucking adoption fees!!!

Izzy Is an unsung hero!

I have a few more listens before I am gonna weigh in on the album as a whole.

It was definitely worth the money and there are several pieces I like very much... there are a few things that gave me that tightening in the spine and I thought could have been done differently or better.

There were several moments while I happily drifted away into the music and just sat there smiling.

So... Def a good review brotha!

Rick Jordan said...

When Sean comes in the den and I am listening to 'Chinese Democracy' or 'Better' he starts head banging to it! That tells me all I need to know! He then asks me if this is Guns 'N Roses and I say yes and he says "Cool!" I like a lot of it but that Riad song doesn't do it for me! The slow songs are vintage and very good! I think the whole thing is listenable and I don't skip any songs when listening to it which I use as a gauge to an album. I need to remind myself that NOTHING will EVER be Appetite and I am OK. Good CD and I think he is on the right track if he plans on releasing two more GNR CDs by 2010! I will be there to buy them! My only bitch about the album is he takes a lot of shots at Slash and the rest of the old band! I hope he got that out of his system and the next two albums can go back to vintage GNR!