Tuesday, October 2, 2007

HMMMMM She Liked It!

Tonight When I Got Home...
From work, I told my wife I was going hunting and Sean instantly popped in that he was going then Jessi said she is going! Jessi used to go hunting with me but she hadn't in a really long time! I thought that she really wasn't interested and had outgrown or just didn't like hunting! I was wrong and that bothers me! There she was- legal to hunt with me for two years now and I never nurtured or helped to grow that in her! I am probably a sexist pig here in that I thought she wouldn't like hunting because she is a girl and very much like her mother! I am an idiot and completely missed the boat on this one! If I had showed her stuff and got her interested in hunting, I would have had someone who would go hunting with me all the time! The good news? She isn't even 12 yet and she would like for me to get her a hunting safety course and teach her how to shoot a gun! I can't drop the ball on this again! She is getting older all the time and this may be the last chance I get to teach her about hunting and what it is all about! She went with Sean and I tonight and was very proud that she saw the bird when I shot it and even helped carry the bird back to the house! I need to stop stereotyping everything in life! Just because she is a girl doesn't mean she won't try or doesn't like hunting! I have read a lot of articles on women hunting and they are far better than men at things because women are detail orientated and can pick out colors in the woods that turn out to be deer or birds! Well, this summer I guess I will have to get her a gun and a hunter safety course and get started in hunting! Later

5 comments:

Kristie said...

That's awesome!! I had a girlfriend in high school who used to go hunting with her dad. She shot her own deer!!!

Colleen said...

She told me that "everyone" was taking hunter safety courses this year. I think she wants to. Remember though, there is a HUGE difference between shooting a bird and a deer.

Rick Jordan said...

I know that! I would like to have her start with turkeys! You see lots, have lots of action and you even can hear them call back to you! I have always thought she didn't have that little thing that lets you shoot a deer but I have been wrong before! I will let her lead the way on this on see where it goes!

Anonymous said...

You never know. My dad never even considered asking me. I have never shot a gun before, but when Jerry got a really awesome paint gun I was a good shot. I don't know that I could kill anything though, unless I was going to eat it. I guess that is why I don't go fishing anymore, because I don't eat fish...I think it is cool that she is finding something she can do with you.

Rick Jordan said...

Fishing is different though- at least you have the option of letting the fish go! Hunting is much more permanent!